Thursday, July 2, 2009

Summer Events in Yonge Dundas Square

When I lived in Toronto I heard rumblings of them trying to make Yonge-Dundas square a gathering place where they would host random free events in the city. I admit that I thought that the square would be too small because it was sandwiched in between the Eaton’s Centre, the Hard Rock CafĂ©, the movie theatre and the Olympic Spirit building. I was skeptical that the location could accommodate what I thought they were trying to accomplish. I am glad to say that I was wrong, below are a couple pictures of events held this year that were a smashing success!

On June 6th exactly 1,623 people gathered in Yonge-Dundas Square to play Neil Young’s Helpless, setting the new Canadian regard for largest guitar ensemble. Unfortunately it was just shy of the Guinness World Record of 1,802 which was set in 2007 in Leinfelden-Echterdingen, Germany.

Luminato 2009 - Neil Young Helpless Guitar Ensemble

On July 1st, DJ Starting from Scratch and Manifesto Festival held an event called: Michael Jackson: A Toronto Tribute & Canada Day Celebration.


Michael Jackson Toronto Tribute / Canada Day Celebration
If ever you are in Toronto and looking for a free outdoor event, check out their website: http://www.ydsquare.ca/

5 comments:

  1. Damn I miss TO! They always had the most interesting events going on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That guitar pic looks awesome! Great idea for an event!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Yonge and Dundas Square!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at the turnout for the MJ tribute! That is the most packed I have seen YD square.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favourite thing at YD Square is the movies they show during the summer. Starting up again next week!

    ReplyDelete